Visiting the Trevi Fountain can be like going to a rock concert. People cram and push to get to the front, to get that great photo opportunity and when they get to the front their lens is not wide enough. It is a mess, so here is our tip, go into the clothes shop on the other side of the road, and upstairs in the children department is a window that gives the best photo spot. You can thank our cameraman for that one! On the opposite corner to the Trevi Fountain is the ice cream shop where you can Pimp Your Magnum. Just saying, the cameraman found that too!
In 1629 Pope Urban VIII found the fountain at the junction of three major roads inadequate and asked for designs in competition. The Trevi Fountain was designed by the winner, Italian architect Nicola Salvi who failed to complete so it was completed by Pietro Bracci. It is 26.3 metres (86 ft) high and 49.15 metres (161.3 ft) wide, which is why you need to get back or have a wide lens. One of the most famous fountains in the world, it is the largest Baroque fountain in the city and is called the Trevi fountain because it is in the Trevi district. MOVIE TIME – The fountain has appeared in several notable films, which means this makes our Cruise Destination where Movies were made list:-
- La Dolce Vita which won the Palme d’Or at the 1960 Cannes Film Festival and the Oscar for Best Costumes. It still remains one of the most critically acclaimed films of all time.
- Three Coins in the Fountain the romantic comedy which was nominated for Best Picture Oscar, and spawned what became a classic standard song, sung by the uncredited Frank Sinatra, “Three Coins in the Fountain” won an Oscar for Best Song. It also won Best Cinematography at the 27th awards in 1955. The American film was made in Italy.
The Spanish Steps are 135 steps that stretch between between the Piazza di Spagna at the base and Piazza Trinità dei Monti, dominated by the Trinità dei Monti church at the top. Another design competition held in 1717. Funded by a Frenchman, French diplomat Étienne Gueffier, and in Italy, they are a set of steps, that may be Spanish, but again are famous in films and songs.
- Roman Holiday (1953), Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck.
- The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone (1961) The main apartment used in the film is halfway up on the right.
- Bob Dylan song “When I Paint My Masterpiece,” mentions both the “Spanish Stairs” and the Colosseum.
CHAT GROUP – Any Bob Dylan fans sat on the steps and sung? Cruise the Mediterranean Chat – New Group, be one of the first to join and start a thread on your forthcoming or past cruise by number – – CLICK HERE TO SHARE & CHATGAME OF THRONES TAKE ON DUBROVNIK
- The Piazza Navona & Pantheon is a beautiful square covered in another blog page.
- A brief orientation of Rome so the City won’t come as a big surprise ends with a suggestion. There is another way to see Rome. How about re-living the clues in the movie Angels and Demons.
- The Bus Tour is a great option, whether hop on or hop off or the one we prefer the Big Bus which is a British company based in London. Click here for blog.
GUIDES AND TOURS MADE EASY FOR YOU
Choose from these many tours in Rome and book direct CLICK HERE
While on YouTube please also subscribe to Doris Visits.CHAT GROUP – Cruise the Mediterranean Chat – New Group, be one of the first to join and start a thread on your forthcoming or past cruise by number – – CLICK HERE TO SHARE & CHAT
Clicking the DORIS VISITS COMPARE CRUISE DEALS BOX takes you to a variety of deals and explains how they are all found.
- Fred Olsen cruises to ROME (Civitavecchia) click here.
- P&O Cruises to ROME (Civitavecchia) Click here
Essentials reading of a cruise. You will cruise with the storey.
The Port guides are made by us, here on Doris Visits. They are a great way to research a port before booking or going, for tips and to save money. They are also a way of sharing with others where you have been. The crime novels are a whole new experience of a port. You may not have been to the ports in the novels, you certainly won’t have been to the parts of the ship they use. All the cruise crime novels will make you feel like you are in the adventure and on that cruise.
This is what we do……
Enjoy your cruise