Florence is a great place for a long weekend, so a cruise will give you a taste for this fantastic city. Our PISA video will take you through the train station and ticket process. Both are easy, the coastal Italian railway runs along the coast so you can pick it pop at any port. Go early, return early, validate your ticket before getting on the train. Use Google.com/transit to check the journey from your port.
Livorno, La Spezia and others are all gateway ports for Florence. But the train makes it easy to get there. Don’t forget to validate your ticket though because conductors will fine you as they do the locals. Florence is a beautiful romantic city which is easily walkable. The Ponte Vecchio bridge is well worth a visit with its jewellery, art and souvenir shops. It is a medieval segmented arched bridge crossing the River Arno. Another big attraction is the Uffizi Gallery. A 16th century building housing a vast collection of primitive and Rennaissance artwork. A highlight for me was Michelangelo’s famous sculpture of David which stands in Via Ricasoli, it is breathtakingly beautiful. Here in Piazza della Signoria you will find the town hall, the historic palace, Palazzo Vecchio. This L shaped square is also known as Palazzo della Signoria.Find your ship’s chat site + share your pictures + experiences to help others
Places to earmark to see are the Another famous landmark is the 1200s cathedral with its iconic red-tiled dome, colored marble facade & elegant Giotto tower. This is also amust see. Piazza del Duomo is located in the heart of the historic centre of Florence. It is one of the most visited places in Europe and the world and in Florence, the most visited area of the city. The historic centre of Florence is part of quartiere 1 of the Italian city of Florence. This quarter was named a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1982.
When you have had your fill of the beautiful architecture, churches and museums The Boboli Gardens is a peaceful place to stroll through on a sunny day. There is something to please everyone in Florence. The street markets are worth a mention with their quality leather belts and handbags. There is a style and chic atmosphere to the city, plenty to see, plenty to do and then there are the wonderful Italian restaraunts. What is not to like? Arguably one of the most beautiful cities in the world! See out tours page for Florence
SEE THE NEW WORLDWIDE PORT GUIDE AND DESTINATION MENU AT DORIS VISITS
MEDITERRANEAN (West) deals when available
- P&O Mediterranean Cruise Late Deals – look and book direct with P&O through our Doris Visits link to get their best offer – click here
- TUI (Marella) Western Mediterranean Cruise Deals – click here for a genuine deal.
- P&O Mediterranean FLY Cruise Deals – look and book direct with P&O through our Doris Visits link to get their best offer – click here
- Fred Olsen deals to the Mediterranean – look and book direct with Fred Olsen through our Doris Visits link to get their best offer – click here
- SAGA Cruise and other operators deals to the Med – look and book direct through this Doris Visits link to get the latest and best offers – click here