While the others went round the Fields of Mars and the church (entrance not included in the St Petersburg Explorer), as we were left on our own, we went rogue and crossed the river. We were not the only ones who crossed the bridge to the Peter & Paul Fortress. We had just enough time for an overview and to know that we will go back there on our next trip to see the Fortress in more detail.
A statue of a man on horseback pointed the way across the Neva River north towards the fortress to the on Hare Island, which is clearly seen with its high spire. The fortress was established by Peter the Great in 1703 at the peak of the Northern War fearing a Swedish counterattack to retake the land captured to give Russia a financial lifeline to the Baltic Sea. The citadel originally had six bastions in earth and timber that were rebuilt in stone from 1706 to 1740. From around 1720, the fort served as a base for the city garrison and a prison, executions took place at the gate. It is now full of museums, most at an extra cost as is walking around the high external battlement wall. The interior options include a torture museum and waxworks. OUR FILM GUIDES We have films on the tours, St Petersburg Explorer, The Holy Blood Church, Emperors and Assassinations, and the Ballet Evening.
GUIDES TO ALL THE BALTIC DESTINATIONS – Take a look around Doris Visits and get more out of your cruise research – guides, tours, cabin tours, ship tours, news. AARHUS COPENHAGEN FREDERICIA GDANSK GOTHENBURG HELSINGBORG HELSINKI KALUNDBORG KIELE KLAIPEDA MALMO OSLO RIGA SKAGEN ST PETERSBURG STOCKHOLM TALLINN TRAVEMUNDE VISBY WARNEMUNDE Find your ship’s chat site + share your pictures + experiences to help others
- See an overview short film of a complete Baltic Cruise route here.
- Fred Olsen Cruises to St Petersburg – Click here
- Marella Cruises – Marella Baltic Cruises
- Take something to eat and drink or schedule a stop, the day is long and can be tiring.
- Do not carry a wallet or bag you do not need, do not talk to hawkers or people handing out leaflets unless you are aware of the situation and someone is watching your back. Pickpockets work with leaflet givers and book sellers.
- Walking Shoes and what to pack. This is a walking cruise, maybe seven stops with seven cities to explore. Be pared.
- Share your pictures with us and share these films with other cruisers.
- Plan your Baltic Cruise, share our overview film with fellow travellers, and plan. There is a lot to do.
We have way over twenty films on Baltic Destinations and tours so you can see what you are getting and plan ahead. We can recommend the Abba Museum in Stockholm, we loved Tallinn, it is our favourite cruise route. Bruges Canal Boat tour is probably the best deal on the route. You can get to Southampton Cruise Terminal by coach so, so cheaply have you ever considered it? If you have never cruised, and we are mainly a cruise site, then click here to see how to look at what cruising is.
If you are new to Doris Visits Cruise TV then welcome, please sign up to our Facebook Page and share with fellow cruisers. We are at sea every month of the year somewhere and post new films of cruise destinations each week. Facebook.
SEE THE CRUISE BEFORE YOU CRUISE THE SEA.
And read the cruise with action leaping between above and below decks.